Esri Canada’s Commitment
We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy and confidentiality of any Personal Information you entrust to us. It is important for you to understand what Personal Information we will collect, how we will use it and who may see it.
Our policy was developed considering the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, and Canada’s Anti-Spam Law and good industry practices.
We have policies and procedures governing our dealings with your Personal Information. Our employees are responsible for respecting and protecting the Personal Information to which they have access.
Our Chief Financial Officer is designated as our Privacy Officer and is responsible for policy, disputes, education and communications activities on privacy matters. Please direct questions about our handling of Personal Information to our Chief Financial Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 12 Concorde Place, Suite 900, Toronto ON M3C 3R8.
When we collect Personal Information, we may use or disclose it to:
- verify and complete transactions and activate software
- provide notification to licensees about updates to software, data and services
- help provide technical and product support
- register for training courses or events
- communicate regarding products or services
- respond to questions
- provide and manage products and services you have requested
- better manage our relationship with you
- communicate about products and services that may be of interest
- understand our customers and to develop our products and services
- administering and maintaining an up-to-date database
- provide surveys and publications
- comply with legal or regulatory requirements or as otherwise permitted by law
We will identify any new purpose for using your Personal Information that arises.
When you interact with us, we obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information for the purposes set out in above. For example, we may collect Personal Information when you order and register software, data or services; sign up for newsletters; register for training or events; or make requests that require a direct response.
When you voluntarily provide personal information, such as your name, title, phone number or email address (business or personal), we assume you are starting a business relationship with us and this is your implied consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personally identifiable information as described on this page and at https://esri.ca/en/privacy. We will not use personal information for any purpose outside of the implied business relationship.
The accuracy of your Personal Information and ensuring that it is complete and up to date is important to us. Please notify us if you discover inaccuracies in our records or your Personal Information changes in a way we should be aware of.
When you simply browse our site, no Personal Information is being collected by Esri Canada.
Our site only collects Personal Information that is submitted voluntarily (e.g. your name or user name, contact details such as address, telephone number or email address).
We must also maintain website security, which includes the investigation of unauthorized attempts to access, alter or delete data, the spreading of viruses and other illegal intrusions. This could result in disclosures to law enforcement agencies.
Use of Web Tools
We use or may use various web tools, including Cookies, Web Beacons and Tagging on our site.
- Cookies are a string of data sent between a server and a web browser to, for example, help facilitate the use of a website and to help understand how a website is being used.
Session Cookies enable the site to keep track of page-to-page movement so you are not asked for the same information repeatedly. They allow you to visit pages of a site easily without having to authenticate or reprocess each new area. They are not written to your hard drive and are deleted once you log out or close your browser. They do not gather information for marketing or track where you have been online.
Persistent Cookies help a site remember your information and settings on return visits and help us provide you with a more personalized experience by analyzing which products and services you have used. If we ever require you to log in, we associate you with a unique internal identifier. It allows us to know who you are, but it does not contain information, such as your name or address, that would identify you to a third party. This unique identifier enables us to monitor your browsing habits on our site so that we can better understand your needs and communicate with you regarding products and services that may be of interest to you. Persistent Cookies are stored on your computer.
Flash Cookies are used to improve your website experience by identifying online behaviours and customizing the ads you view to reflect your browsing experience. We do not currently use Flash Cookies.
Cookies are commonly used and many browsers automatically accept Cookies. If you decide to accept Cookies, your browser’s online help will have instructions on setting Cookie preferences. If you do not accept Cookies, you may continue to browse our site, but certain features may not function properly without Cookies.
- Tagging is when we place customized code on our site to monitor user activity. Tagging software tracks user activity and passes it on to a third party for analysis so that we might better understand and enhance the user experience and provide additional security controls.
- Web Beacons are small and transparent images embedded in web pages that, when combined with Cookies, help provide a website operator with information about the use and effectiveness of a website.
- Content Management Solutions are tools that enable us to present appropriate content to visitors based on previous interests as indicated by websites they have visited or other content viewed. These tools track if you have clicked on content and identify your activity using Cookies and Web Beacons. These tools do not identify you personally, but are associated with the device, such as the computer being used.
Education and Research ListServs
The Education and Research Group at Esri Canada maintains several email distribution lists to facilitate and encourage communication between certain groups, namely K-12 educators, higher education educators and researchers, higher education students, and members of the GIS Ambassadors program. All messages sent to these lists must be approved and released by a moderator. Personal Information is not shared, except when a member chooses to post a message to the list.
Individuals may subscribe or unsubscribe to these lists at any time using the following links or by contacting the Education and Research Group at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- K-12 Educators https://lists.esri.ca/scripts/wa-ESRICA.exe?SUBED1=K12-CAN-L&A=1
- Higher Education Educators and Researchers https://lists.esri.ca/scripts/wa-ESRICA.exe?SUBED1=HED-CAN-L&A=1
- Higher Education Students https://lists.esri.ca/scripts/wa-ESRICA.exe?SUBED1=HED-CAN-STUDENT-L&A=1
- GIS Ambassadors https://lists.esri.ca/scripts/wa-ESRICA.exe?SUBED1=AMBASSADOR-CAN-L&A=1