Posted to HED-CAN-L ListServ
2020-04-02: One new feature that will be helpful for providing ArcGIS Pro to students, faculty, and staff is the ability for ArcGIS Online users to download the ArcGIS Pro installer directly from the new My settings page in their profile. Specifically, on this page, users can click the Licensing tab on the left and scroll down to the ArcGIS Pro download option.
This option is available if the user already has an ArcGIS Pro license assigned to their ArcGIS Online named-user account.
- If your institution has migrated to the new Education Institutional Agreement or has an Education Departmental license, you can assign users the “GIS Professional Advanced” user type, which includes an ArcGIS Pro license by default.
- If your institution has not yet migrated from the Education Site License, you can assign users the Creator user type and then assign ArcGIS Pro as an add-on license in their account.
In either case, ArcGIS Pro extensions can be added afterwards as add-on licenses.
We have updated our ArcGIS for Higher Ed Learners and ArcGIS Off-Campus story maps to include this new information, as well as the ArcGIS Pro best-practices guide that was distributed last August (attached). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Five new and updated tutorials
2020-03-31: Now available in our higher education resource finder:
- New/Updated: Introduction to ArcGIS Pro (tutorial)
- New: ArcGIS Urban Setup to Design Urban Futures (tutorial)
- New: Designing Urban Futures (ArcGIS Urban | video)
- New: Create a COVID-19 Dashboard using ArcGIS Dashboards (ArcGIS Online | tutorial)
- Updated: Designing User Interfaces for Geospatial Applications (workshop)
How to Launch pre-configured ArcGIS Desktop virtual machines in Azure
2020-03-27: For students and educators looking for a means to access ArcGIS desktop software, and who are unable to install the ArcGIS software on their own PCs (e.g., incompatible hardware, or Mac operating systems), this video will walk you through how to setup a virtual machine image in Azure that is pre-configured with ArcGIS desktop software.
Five new and updated tutorials
2020-03-27: Now available in our higher education resource finder:
- New: Deep Learning in ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS API for Python to conduct Object Detection
- Updated: Symbology in ArcGIS Pro (choropleth and dot density mapping included)
- Updated: Calculate Fields in ArcGIS Pro
- New: Georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro
- New: Part 2 – Applying Data Science Tools in ArcGIS Insights: includes scripting in Python and R
Join the Esri Inc higher education team on Tuesdays and Thursdays until April 21
Join the Esri Inc higher education team during a series informal office hours to learn about tools, data, curricular materials, and teaching approaches to teach GIS effectively online.
Scheduled times and connection details for sessions scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays from March 19th to April 21st are posted in GeoNet (for the ADT time zone add 1 hour to EDT times; for NDT add 1.5 hours).
Past session recordings are being added to the GeoNet post following each session.
Free Esri Press E-Books
2020-03-26: Esri Press has made an arrangement with VitalSource to make Esri Press e-books available for free to Canadian students through their new VitalSource Helps program.
- If you do not have a VitalSource Account: visit the VitalSource FAQ page for students and instructors, and watch the first video to see how to create an account and start borrowing books.
- If you have a VitalSource Account: watch the second video on the VitalSource FAQ page for students and instructors see how to borrow books.
- Note that Canadian students have access to books until April 30. If you will need access until May 25, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- When using Bookshelf Search, if you don’t know exactly which book(s) you need to borrow, it is helpful to search for books in the VitalSource store first, then return to Bookshelf to find and borrow them.
- Access to titles is available through the Faculty Sampling catalog. Note that sampling is available to Canadian instructors, but it’s not enabled in the Canadian store so you will need to stay on the US site.
- If you already have a VitalSource account, and have been verified by a publisher, you should be able to add any Esri Press titles to your library
- If you do not have a VitalSource account, the first time you request to sample a book you will need to create an account and be verified by the publisher. After that, you should have unlimited access to books that any publisher has made available through the sampling catalogue.
Esri Canada Blog Post: How to access Esri technology while working from home
2020-03-24: While this article is not education-specific, it has some useful information in it, and includes a helpful video tutorial. Send any questions you have directly to us at email@example.com. Tech Support and Customer Care at Esri Canada are working closely with us to resolve problems as they arise.
COVID-19 Educator Support – Enabling Remote Access to ArcGIS in Higher Education Webinar
2020-03-16: This webinar recording presents options for remote access, emphasizing both on-premises virtualization (e.g., Citrix, VMware) and Cloud virtualization (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Azure). Learn from members of the higher-education community with experience supporting ArcGIS in virtual environments.